Growing Up Is Hard To Do...Or Is It?

I have been trying to write this post for a bit, but the little lady isn't cooperating. I don't know if new teeth are coming in, or if she is just more interested in her surroundings lately, but I do know that napping has become somewhat of a difficult time lately. I keep telling Melina that babies take naps and that she needs to nap in order to grow, but she just hasn't been buying it.

***
Speaking of growing up, Aaron has done so overnight. I am not kidding, either. Writing about him now could be like the beginning of a Franklin story:
Aaron could count by fives and draw bee hives. He could hold his pencil correctly and draw very gently.
Aaron can probably count by twos, but he doesn't have tie shoes, so Franklin has him there. But Aaron's artwork has exploded in detail and design, he really does hold his pencil the right way (finally) and best of all, he has been dry at night! He informed me yesterday that the box of special pants (diapers/pullups) no longer belonged in his room since he just didn't need them. Aaron also told me that he didn't need help with his shoes: "Mom," he said. "I can do it by myself. I've done it before." The growing up part isn't really hard on him...it is hard on me. My little guy is changing right in front of me, and I can't stop it. Of course, I don't really want to, either.

***
Second speaking of growing up: I just realized the girls will be done with first grade tomorrow. Done. Finished. Moving on to second grade. That means they are growing older, and so am I. Lately, their maturity has been showing (sometimes) and I am glad to see it. I found the girls sitting with Aaron on the couch yesterday. Talia was in the middle, reading a chapter book to Zoe and Aaron. They were enjoying each other's company as well as a good read. I was so proud, I called Tim to tell him what I found. I thanked Talia later for sharing her talent with her brother (Zoe can already read well by herself). She smiled, but I could tell she was proud of herself, too.

And speaking of pride, the girls both earned SPIRIT pins this year. What does SPIRIT stand for? I took this from the school's handout:
Our mission is for the students to learn about Success, Pride, Integrity, Respect, Involvement and Teamwork. We talk about these words and actions everyday so students can learn to implement them into their daily lives. It is our hope that through "SPIRIT" each child has the best school experience possible. To this end, we must work together and support each other as we nuture and educate our students.
Each time a student is seen doing something that represents one of the letters of the word SPIRIT, he or she receives a brick with that letter on it. When the student has received all of the bricks, her or she gets a pin. The kids are thrilled to have accomplished the feat, and Tim and I are happy, too.

***
Just to amuse you, Melina is body slamming the dog -- over and over and over. Aaron is laughing hysterically, and so am I. The dog isn't even bothered by it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status