Bad Hair Day

I received the latest issue of a magazine that will remain anonymous. It happens to be a style and fashion magazine, and anyone who knows me knows that style and fashion don't quite jive with my persona. It comes to me because another magazine that I signed up for was discontinued. I have since told the company to please cancel my subscription. In the meantime, I can only consider myself lucky to still share time with it!

In any case, I was browsing through the issue yesterday, as I always do. Ads for Juicy Couture, Tommy Hilfiger, and Nine West were scattered amongst such items as what is most slimming for Fall, what shoes go best with what outfit (how about I wear black or brown shoes with everything and running shoes when appropriate!), and super stylish deals under $100 (uh, not such deal, if you ask me!). I stopped short when I reached a snippet on hair.

I need to take an aside here. My hair has been essentially the same for a very long time. I vacillate between long/in a ponytail and shorter with layers. I am supposed to go to my sister-in-law's wedding next year. If I wear the same dress I wore to her sister's wedding in 1999 (it still fits), I will look almost exactly the same (plus 4 kids and many more wrinkles). I write this not because I think it is cool...it is sad!

Back to the article. Specifically, the article was highlighting (pun intended) what inspired people to make a hair change. They showed a picture of a person on the street, who was a lovely young lady with brown hair. It didn't look special to me at all. However, this everyday woman and her hair inspired an editor to go request her look from the salon. What was that look, you ask?

Roots. Let me say that again. Roots!!! I mean the things you get when you bleach your hair and then let it grow out and you don't do any retouching. The dark on top and lighter at the bottom thing. This young lady had brown hair on top, and about 3/4 of the way down, she had the lighter hair that ended below her shoulders. Seriously, when I looked at her picture, I thought, hey, she colored her hair and decided to grow it out.

To be honest, I think it is great if we make a new trend from roots. My hair, which I home colored (unfortunately) almost a year ago, has darker roots at top and lighter hair at the bottom. For once in my life, I might be setting the trend. I would assume, if you ask for the look at a salon, the hair stylist can make the transition from dark to light look a little better than the "growing out my color" look that I sport. But please, let us call it what it is, people!!

Comments

Teresa said…
For what it's worth, you could have roots or wear running shoes and a paper bag to our wedding and you'd still look beautiful. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status