Birthday Bash

I have so much to do today with respect to house and work, that I am taking a break from the very enjoyable trip down memory lane. I'll pick up with the twin story next time.

As most of you who read this know, Aaron turned 6 on November 1st. This year, we thought maybe we'd have a party with some of his friends, in addition to the family party we have every year. It just so happens that his good friend, Harper, who we've known since the kids were both 6 months old, also has a November birthday. Harper's mom, Kelsey, called a while back and proposed having a joint birthday party at the local rec center: we'd rent a room for games and snacks, and then head to the pool. Why not?

Kelsey did a wonderful job of organizing most of the party, and she also wrote a wonderful recap on her blog. If you'd like to read it, go here. The kids seemed to have a blast, the desserts (Kelsey and I split the task and we made rice krispie treats, cookies and brownies) were great, and there weren't too many tears shed by the end. Overall, a pretty good party, I'd say.

I think this year, with Aaron turning 6, will be one that he remembers for a while. This party with his kindergarten friends was essentially party #3! The weekend my parents came to visit, we had a party, complete with Scooby-Doo cake (I promise to post the pictures before the end of November!). The weekend after that, Tim's parents visited, and we sang Happy Birthday with some good friends and a batch of brownies. And then this weekend, the pool party. If I ask him about it, he might say he wants to stay 6 forever.

Which reminds me. If you haven't visited Kelsey's site yet, go there, and click on her post labeled Six. It is her yearly birthday tribute, and one of her best yet, I think.

***
I came home from running errands this morning and checked the machine for messages. The school secretary had called and left a message stating an incident that had happened this morning in kindergarten. Essentially, Aaron was leaning backwards in his chair, and (I know you know what happened!) he fell over, clunking his head on the very hard floor.

The secretary said that Aaron spent some time in the clinic, and although the nurse was not in the building today, she had taken care of a quick exam. No bumps or bruises, no dilated eyes, he was responsive and alert. She sent him back to class, probably so he could do the same thing over again.

Tim was in bed, and listened to the message as I played it (he has a migraine today). His response? "What an idiot!" We don't usually use words like that in front of our kids, or to describe our kids, but I think in this instance, the use was appropriate. On the other hand, I think Tim forgets what it was like to be a 6 year old boy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status