The Same, But Different: Part II

Finding out we were having twins, literally, blew me away. The tumult of emotions that gripped me cannot really be described. I can't imagine finding out that there were more in there! Each person I would encounter after that asked, "Were they spontaneous?" In this age of fertility treatments, the concept of spontaneous twins is getting less common.

Tim and I both needed to get back to our respective labs following the ultrasound. Because the technician needed to measure two babies instead of one, I was already past when I told my advisor I'd be back. I spoke briefly to the midwife, who told me that she could no longer serve as my health care provider: the university would automatically put me into the Multiples Program, I'd be assigned a doctor, and I would have required visits with a nutritionist. Upon checkout, the receptionist (who also had twins) said, "Twins. You gotta love them. They eat together, sleep together, and poop together!"

Somehow, in my delirious state, I made it back to the lab. I remember wolfing down my sandwich and fruit as I made my way to each corner of the lab. I showed my colleagues and friends the ultrasound; most were in a state of disbelief. My advisor was astounded, and simply said, "We need a plan. You need to get finished with this degree."

***
I did quite a bit of reading after that first ultrasound. While I was indeed a healthy person, I wanted to be sure the babies were healthy. I tried to eat more, and rest more. I drank more water, and made lists so that I could get everything accomplished, in the event that the babies came early. I was nervous. There are so many stories out there about twins that are delivered early, about the NICU, about problems that can go wrong. This was my first pregnancy, and I was expecting twins! My level of uncertainty was pretty high.

One of the first things I did was see the nutritionist. I had no choice in the matter, but I am so glad that I was able to see her. She took my health history, took all my vitals, and sat down and discussed what twins and moms pregnant with twins need. Each visit, I was weighed, my blood pressure was checked, and my fundal height was measured. Each visit, she asked not only about physical symptoms, but psychological as well. She gave me a chart of what I should be eating, including the amount of calories, protein, and calcium. Her instructions were so detailed, yet so welcome.

Dr. Barbara Luke is her name, and she specializes in multiples nutrition research. She has since reestablished herself elsewhere, but her website and books are wonderful resources. Dr. Luke's research has found a link between how much weight the mom puts on in the first trimester and how well the babies do. Since I hadn't put on that much weight as of the 19 week mark, she gave me an outline of what she wanted me to do. I do remember being somewhat flabbergasted at how much she wanted me to eat. Could I really consume that much in a day? Where would I put it? In the end, she wanted me to gain between 50 and 62 pounds, sometime before the delivery date. I was starting later than some...could I indeed pack that amount on? And furthermore, I needed to eat MEAT! I hadn't eaten meat since college. How would that go?

Let me tell you. If you eat the following throughout the day, you WILL put on weight, even with two hungry babies in you:

Breakfast: 2 eggs with cheese and 2 sliced of toast, fruit, glass of milk
Snack #1: peanut butter crackers and milk
Snack #2: cottage cheese and fruit
Lunch: roast beef and cheese on whole wheat (large sandwich), yogurt, glass of milk, fruit, cookie or other little sweet (my doing here).
Snack #3: protein bar
Snack # 4: cheese and crackers
Dinner: veggies, pasta, meat, glass of milk
Snack #5: pretzels
Snack #6: ice cream (full-fat, up to 1 pint)

That last item, ice cream (up to 1 pint) is directly from Dr. Luke. She told me to eat 1 pint of ice cream a night. It would help get me through the night, and I shouldn't wake up in the middle of night needing food. I love ice cream...this was a dream! However, I never could get 1 pint into my body. By that time of the night, I'd eaten so much during the day, I just couldn't finish that amount of ice cream. When I tell stories about this time in my life, I always mention Dr. Luke's ice cream edict, especially to fellow ice cream lovers.


That's me (obviously)...I think about 32 weeks along. It was getting very difficult to keep that basketball in place!


To be continued...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status