The School Levy Passed!

I usually don't blog about anything political, but what I say today really doesn't have a side. Our school district has earned an Excellent With Distinction rating from the state, and to be honest, I really think the district has worked hard to get there.

Well, last May, when the district asked for more money, the community denied it. I personally didn't deny it: I always vote Yes for school and library levies, and well as for issues that are concerned with Human Services. My kids use the schools, we all use the libraries, and well, Human Services are just important to have. I know I will be paying more in taxes, but how else can you get an education? It ain't free.

The superintendent did a great job (I believe) in letting the community know what had already been done to try and avoid asking for more money: many teacher positions and staff positions were cut across the district, the teachers agreed to no pay-raise for the last couple of years, and a school had been closed. He indicated that if the levy didn't pass, bad things not only could happen, but would happen. How can a school district run without being funded? He wasn't trying to scare people into voting, he simply was telling us the truth.

In short, though, the levy passed. We'll fork over a bit more change, and in exchange, we hope to keep this great school district afloat. Part one in my personal attempt to help: Vote Yes. Part two in my personal attempt to help: Volunteer more. I should have some great stories. Stay tuned.

Comments

Kelsey said…
I was so nervous, then so relieved! Yay for our schools and children! And yes, it is definitely worth the extra change.

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status