Influences

Melina is sitting -- right now -- in her little rocking chair, whispering quietly to the baby she has in her arms. The baby is no ordinary baby doll or animal, though. She has swaddled Tim's measuring tape in a pink polka dot blanket.

The other day, Aaron was running around the house, chasing the girls and wielding a light saber. On top of his head was perched a Disney princess helmet, in a lovely shade of lavender.

Moments like this were never a part of my upbringing. I grew up with two sisters, and while we may have been tomboys, there are many experiences I just didn't know about until Aaron came along. So far, we have been blessed with children that enjoy each other's company. That isn't to say that there aren't arguments and VERY LOUD discussions, but for the most part, the girls are willing to play with Aaron and vice versa. And so far, this seems to be a good thing, as the children are not only playing with one another, but also learning from one another (and not just from Tim and myself).

I like to think that the kids will grow up confident, and not let gender roles get in the way of anything they want to do. And I think the kids get it already. We all cook and bake in this house, and we all try to fix things (although I admit that many times, Tim is better simply because he is stronger or understands how the structure works). The girls show interest in gears and Aaron is (most of the time) gentle with babies. Many times, if the girls are doing something, Aaron will watch, and the same can be said of the reverse.

So, around here, I'll just keep on watching Melina nurse the power tools, while Aaron straps the rockets onto the animal babies.

Comments

Kelsey said…
It seems to work that way with my kids too - their favorite activity right now is to do a kind of basketball/ballet combo they've (mostly Harper) invented...
Kelsey said…
PS There was an essay/story about gender roles in that toddler book I'm readying - I really do need to give it to you when I'm finished.

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status