Question of the Day

I love yogurt. I eat it almost every day, at lunchtime. Unless I am pregnant -- then I don't care for yogurt, and I am not sure why. I've taken to buying Yoplait brand yogurt, as that brand has 50% of the daily recommended amount of calcium. I am not a big milk drinker, and there are only so many leafy green vegetables you can eat, so every little bit helps.

But here is my question. Why does Yoplait make a huge assortment of flavors in the Light variety, but not nearly as many in the regular? I do not like Splenda or Aspartame in my yogurt. Yes, I get a lot of sugar in flavored yogurt, but considering I have curbed my sugar intake elsewhere, I am not too worried. So why? Do you have an answer? Have they done research on this subject?

Here is the only thing I can think of: the people who eat Light yogurt might be watching their diet for calories and sugar, and therefore, they might be the sort of people who will also NOT be eating dessert. Thus, Yoplait makes more flavors, especially dessert related flavors, in the Light variety so that those people get to eat something. Did you get all that? I don't really have a good answer. That is just what I am thinking. Who knows. Perhaps I will call the company and find out.

I am almost certain if you had to ask a question today, that would not have been it. But I have been wondering for a while...


Comments

cryptozoologist said…
hi chris,
we eschew yoplait in our household because of the tendency for woodland creatures to get their heads stuck in the containers. look here:
http://collections.lopolis.com/archives/2006/06/26/yoplait-good-yogurt-bad-container-design/
http://youtu.be/V_GPndNQ1r0
http://youtu.be/PXccGB9AkBo

there's no reason they have to use those cups except for their 'branding'

one thing i can't figure out about yogurt is why can't you buy it in recyclable containres? it almost always comes in #5 or #7 neither of which is recyclable.
Christina said…
Good point, Dave. I'd actually like to buy something completely organic with better packaging, but until those people put more calcium in their yogurts, it won't happen. In the meantime, I will at least cut up the packaging. And I agree about the recycling.

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status