Things

A student who plans on becoming a nurse, just said to me: "I wish these anatomy professors would concentrate on the anatomy, and not the physiology." Apparently, she doesn't plan on knowing HOW everything works, she just wants to know WHERE and WHAT things are. I will be putting her name in my mental rolodex and avoiding her at all costs, should I encounter her in the hospital.

***

Last week, I volunteered in the girls' classroom and helped with a science experiment. I was at Talia's table. There were two boys there that just didn't want to listen to me. One consistently chattered and the other didn't pay attention. Talia could tell I was frustrated. At one point I said, "My rule, when I am teaching, is that you pay attention!" I didn't yell, but I spoke in a stern manner. The kids still didn't cooperate.

I spoke with the teacher afterward, and she was apologetic. She doesn't want to run off the volunteers afterall! She actually spoke to the students, and then to the prinicipal! Two days ago I received letters from both boys apologizing for their behavior. I am guessing those two boys won't want to see my face again!

The experience taught me, though, that I think the school is trying to do the right thing. Mrs. M wasn't going to let the behavior slide, and neither did the principal. Perhaps the boys will think twice the next time they are to do a project with either a volunteer, or their own teacher.

***
I have a confession to make: my will power with respect to desserts is declining. I gave the kids dessert twice on Sunday so that I wouldn't eat the leftover eclair cake!

Comments

T said…
Dude, that cake was evil. EVIL. Self control and that cake are not able to reside in the same sentence. Unless it was that one.

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status