Sunchokes, Anyone?

Last week, sunchokes (or sunroots) arrived in our Happy Box (the box we get from the CSA). They used to be called Jerusalem artichokes (Helianthus tuberosus), but they aren't related to artichokes, and are actually a species of sunflower. The tuber is what is harvested and eaten. The CSA provided a nice description of the sunchokes, as well as multiple ways to prepare them.

I found it interesting that the sunchokes store the carbohydrate inulin, instead of starch. When I think of inulin, I go back to grad school where we first learned about Glomerular Filtration Rate (GFR) in the kidney. Essentially, the body filters and clears inulin, since it is neither secreted nor absorbed by any of the tubules in the kidney. In fact, the clearance of inulin is used clinically to measure GFR. Hmmm. Food for thought there (yikes, bad pun). What does this mean as far as digestion? Well, I could guess, that is for sure.

Instead of looking it up, I prepared the batch (coating with olive oil and spices and then baking them), and we ate them. Tim and I had the most, and the kids all tried them. The sunchokes tasted, to me, like a slightly different version of a potato. Unlike potatoes, though, they didn't agree with the digestive system.

Bloating and gas were the result of our experiment with sunchokes. It stands to reason, considering inulin is indigestible by the body. I was just rooting around (get it?) for some information, and everything I read said to introduce the sunchoke gradually, so the body can adapt.

Duh! Sometimes, I should just go with my gut, don't you think? (I am so full of puns today, I outshine myself, don't I?)

Comments

T said…
Dear god, did you get a sex change? Are you a dad now instead of being a mom? These were terrible Tony jokes... LOL

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status