God Bless Mrs. G!

Aaron was lucky enough to be assigned to Mrs. G's class this year. As I have said before, Zoe had Mrs. G back in first grade, and we loved her. She is organized, patient, and has the students' best interests at heart. We also found out that she adapts well, as some things in the curriculum have changed since Zoe was in first grade, and she still manages to be a first rate teacher.

Over the course of the year so far, I have been in to help Mrs. G with various activities. I usually try to get there to help with the Science Lab activities, and I've been around to help with parties and lunchtime. Just recently, I started coming in each week to help with the math centers.

It became apparent to me very early on in the year that Mrs. G's class was a little lopsided. She had been given mostly boys, and to be honest, some of the most difficult boys in the first grade. (I do wonder if this wasn't by design, as Mrs. G has a reputation for being a good disciplinarian; she is gentle, yet firm with the students, and from what I can tell, she gets results!) When I have been in the classroom, Mrs. G has had to deal with talking, crying, general malaise, and arguing. Half of the class wants to talk to the new person (me) at a time when Mrs. G would like to explain what we need to do. Mrs. G usually looks at me, and in an effort to not roll her eyes at the students' behavior, instead widens her big, brown eyes at me. Any parent would know what it means!

I just want to give Mrs. G a shout-out and a large pat on her back! She has been an educator for 30 years, and nothing seems to have phased her. I think I'd actually like to ask her for an interview, off the record of course. I'd like to understand why she became a teacher, specifically a first grade teacher, and ask her what the secret is for being so patient and understanding. For 30 years! I'd probably try to get at the heart of her philosophy and then spread the word. Many of us can learn quite a bit from a lady like Mrs. G.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status