Sweet Success

Once my quarter was over, I told the teachers at the kids' school that I would be able to come into the classroom and help out a bit more. Since I like science and math, both the 1st grade and the 4th grade teachers jumped on that. I have been going in to help the first graders with math centers (I have 6 kids at a time for 15 minutes), and I have also been helping the 4th graders. Every Tuesday and Thursday, the same 4th graders and I head to a quiet spot in the school and spend 30-45 minutes on whatever the teacher needs us to do.

On Tuesday, Mrs. M requested that we go over some of the concepts that the kids will see on the standardized tests. She gave me a copy of the quiz (not graded) that is similar to ones that the students take every couple of weeks. Mrs. M's philosophy is this: the more they see it, the better they will do. Hmmm...sounds like practice to me. Perhaps that should carry over into homework. But, I digress.

Anyway, the students and I looked over what they had done, and tried to concentrate on the concepts that most of them hadn't been able to grasp. One concept: fractions. At this point in the public schools out here, the students have only a rudimentary understanding of fractions. They can identify what a fraction is, and how many parts are a part of the bigger whole, but many of the kids don't know how to add or subtract fractions yet. So, we went over that. We added and subtracted fractions like there was no tomorrow. By the end of the 45 minutes, we had it down. I said to them, "My job is done. Now, you need to remember it!"

Well, imagine my surprise and delight when I walked into school today. Sydney had a big smile on her face and burst out: "We took one of those tests and I got all the fractions correct!" She was so clearly proud, it made me want to cry just a bit. Once I got the other kids in the group, I asked how they did. And all of them said the same as Sydney. "Mrs. C, it was easy! We knew exactly what to do!"

I think I felt just as great as they did about their small success!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status