English Muffins

We've been buying a lot of English Muffins around here lately. We used to get them only when company came over, as a somewhat fancier alternative to cereal, oatmeal, or toast, but then found out that Melina and Zoe really like them. Zoe tends to be more particular in her liking of this bread; she prefers the original kind, although it doesn't matter which brand. Melina will eat any of them: original, multigrain, wheat, you name it. Melina is not picky when it comes to her love of bread.

I finally got the idea to check my bread recipe book for a recipe to make English Muffins. And there it was! Now, I have had my bread machine for about 15 years, and I have had this particular recipe book for at least half that long. Furthermore, I actually do use my bread machine on a somewhat regular basis. But, I had never ventured into the world of homemade English muffins.

After Tim picked up some malt vinegar that was called for in the recipe, I decided to give these little morsels a shot. I loaded up the bread machine last night, and waited for the dough to be done. I then put the dough in the refrigerator overnight.

When I woke up at 5:30 am, I thought it would be a good thing to get out of bed. After all, I had muffins to make! That is when I read the rest of the recipe, and gasped. No, I hadn't missed anything, other than the fact that you do not bake the muffins, but cook them! Get out! Indeed, after rolling the dough in a ball, rolling the ball in cornmeal, and flattening out each "patty," you cook them, in a skillet, with the lid on. About 15 minutes after I put the first batch in, I had 3 round, fluffy, fantastic looking English muffins.

The ones I made opened easily with a fork and toasted up just fine. They are missing the famous "nooks and crannies" of the Thomas' brand, but if you aren't picky, then I guess you won't miss them. They also seemed a little doughy to me, but I think if I make thinner patties next time, it will all work out.

Melina ate one of the muffins with her usual zeal, which of course, was no surprise. The real test was Zoe. She said they were simply "okay." She just might have to live with life being "okay" considering the cost of making these muffins was much lower than buying them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status