Getting Nowhere

Arguing with a three year old is like arguing with a politician. Any politician, regardless of affiliation. You will see why in a minute.

Today, on the way to the dentist, Melina started telling me about Finding Nemo, the movie. This is a movie that I have seen countless times, while Melina has seen it about three times. I know the story, the characters, the outcome. Apparently Melina does not believe that I do.

Melina: Mommy! Nemo was in the ocean, but then they put him in a fish tank.
Me: I know. He did not like the fish tank, did he?
Melina: No. Can a fish like Nemo live in a fish tank?
Me: If the tank is the right one.
Melina: Okay. And Nemo has a friend Dorothy.
Me: I think you mean Dory.
Melina: The blue and yellow fish. Her name is Dorothy.
Me: Yes, the blue and yellow fish. Her name is Dory.

And this is where the politician-like behavior comes in. Melina scrunched her face up, and looked off to her right. I could see the wheels turning in her head. She was trapped, and scrambling to come up with an argument that would back up her case. In her head, she was right. She just didn't have any way to prove that she was. There were no facts, and no other people in the car, to help her. What to do? Well of course, she just made it up.

Melina: Well, her middle name might be Dory.
Me: Oh, really?
Melina: Yeah, her middle name is Dory. That is why you think her name is Dory. Her real name is Dorothy Dory.

There was just no sense in arguing with her. I, too, had no way of proving that she was wrong. So I took the somewhat higher road (although no less politician-like) and changed the subject.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status