Pinna Problems

I left Zoe and Talia home today while the rest of us dropped off two of Aaron's friends at their house.  When I walked back into our home, it was 5 pm.  I wanted to finish getting dinner ready, and find the time to eat that dinner.  No sooner had I set foot into the kitchen when Zoe said to me, "Mom, don't freak out."


I have learned over the last 38 years that freaking out never gets me anywhere.  But I have to say, when one of my 10 year old kids says that to me, AND I have just left them home alone, I get a little nervous.

"Mom," Zoe continued, "I need you to come with me upstairs."

So many things started to dance through my head as I stood in the kitchen:  broken mirrors, windows, or closets; broken bones and beds; indoor bee hives or hornets' nest; bat family living in the attic.  Thankfully, Zoe didn't make me wait long.

"Talia needs help with her earring.  She has a problem," Zoe quietly said to me.  "Oh," I replied.  "Please tell Talia to come down and I can help her."

The poor thing came stumbling down the stairs with tears in her eyes.  Her earring was halfway in her ear, and when I saw the blood, I knew it might take a few moments to fix.  Clifford went in the DVD for Melina, and Aaron hopped on the tablet.  I bought myself a couple of minutes to help Talia before the house went loose.

But help her, I could not.  To make a long story short, the back of an earring is now partially ensconced in the back of Talia's earlobe.  Apparently, Talia had not been diligent about changing and cleaning her earrings, and somehow (I don't know how, really) her lobe decided to start incorporating the back of the earring into itself.  Thankfully, even at 5:10 pm, our doctor's office was open.  The nurse listened to my predicament, admitted that they have seen it before, but that Talia would need to be seen by a surgeon.  Said surgeon is expecting my call tomorrow, and hopefully, they can get her in this week.

Of course, this week just happens to be one of those weeks where just about every day has too many things to do.  So I am hoping that the surgeon can see us Friday, and if I have to pull her out of school in order to get the back pulled out of her ear, so be it.

Talia says she doesn't want pierced ears anymore, and I cannot say I blame her.

Any of you that are trying to divert your child's attention from having pierced ears, feel free to share our story.  I can say that I at least warned you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status