Tablet and Technology Issues

I happen to be the type of person who, aside from using a computer, manages to eschew almost every other form of technology out there.  Part of that has to do with being mostly a SAHM.  Right now, I don't need too much technology.  I know where the kids are and I know where I am.  I use the computer to write the blog or write some stories or put together lectures, and I use the tablet if I need to check email quickly.  I don't watch much television, we don't have any electronic games, i.e. Wii or Xbox, and our cell phone really is used only for when we travel (or when we need to use up the minutes we put on there when we traveled.) Personally, if I am not doing things for the kids or the house, you can find me doing one of four things:  running, sleeping, reading, or writing, none of which require much more than electricity.

I also happen to be married to a man who, even though he says he eschews forms of technology, manages to bring things into the house that then catch the eyes of our technologically deprived children.  Case in point:  when the tablet arrived, the best thing on it (according to the kids) was the ability to get to YouTube so quickly.  They also liked using some of the math websites sanctioned by us and the school.  And then Tim stepped in.  He loaded up Angry Birds, a baseball game, and Temple Run.  Now, even before the homework is done, I have 4 little people clamoring for time on the tablet (Melina just likes to watch).  The same would happen if we had a Wii, or any other form of technology that apparently, everyone else has.

I am going to try to use this new found excitement over the tablet to my advantage.  The kids are done with school on May 31st.  That date is right around the corner.  We have so much to do before then, and of course, the summer will be full of things to do.  Perhaps Temple Run (and whatever else comes behind it) can be just the carrots my little animals need.

Comments

Kelsey said…
Tablet time is a GREAT carrot - especially if what they do with it is even remotely educational.

Now I'm going to think of your kids as donkeys... :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status