Weekend Babysitting

A couple of days ago, a friend of mine called to ask me something.

Friend:  I hate to ask, but I need a favor.
Me:  Okay, go ahead.
Friend:  Really, it is an imposition.
Me:  I won't know until you tell me.
Friend:  Can you guys watch the guinea pig this weekend?
Me:  Of course!

I kept the news to myself for a bit, knowing that the kids would be thrilled.  So I thought I'd let them know the good news when it came time for asking them to go to bed.  The girls are notorious for stalling at bedtime.  They give us one more smooch, ask us a pretty big question, or just admit that they aren't tired.  What should take 10 minutes inevitably takes 30.

Me:  Guess who we are going to babysit this weekend?
Tim:  Cousin 1?
Me:  No.  [Tim visibly relaxes.]
Twins: Cousin 2?
Me: No. [Tim visibly relaxes more.]
Twins:  Who?
Me: Madame Fluff.
Tim:  Who?

The girls giggled and went ballistic; they were off their rockers with joy.  I told them we wouldn't do any babysitting unless they got upstairs in record time.  That night, they did as they were told, and went to sleep right away.  Tim figured out quickly who Madame Fluff (said Floof) was and said, "A guinea pig, I can handle.  Just no more kids."*

We've been enjoying Madame Fluff's presence since yesterday afternoon.  So far, she is welcome back anytime.

*I should mention that Cousin 1 and 2 are not trouble when it comes to babysitting.  We've been very busy as of late, and the thought of entertaining kids that aren't our own probably wasn't that palatable to Tim at the time.

Comments

Kelsey said…
Would it surprise you to learn I am super allergic to guinea pigs??? Glad you are having fun though - Tim's responses crack me up!
T said…
Okay, is Cakes number one or two... grr. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status