Daycared Out

This week has been full of kids.

A friend of mine called last week and said, "Can you watch the kids for us?  Tom forgot that he wasn't done with school until 2 weeks after the kids were out."

Tom is still in school, and works full-time.  Becky is still and school and works full-time.  Their shift schedules usually allow them to have one person at home with their 3 children.  I looked at my calendar, and realized that nothing was scheduled on the day in question.  I went ahead and said yes.  When I spoke to Tom again he asked, "Can you possibly watch them for 2 days?"

I'd like to think that I am a kind person, but I will tell you this:  I will not watch other people's children if it is going to be a hassle for me, especially all day.  But I know this family well, and while having 3 extra children around would be more work, it wasn't going to be a pain for me.  Our kids like their kids and vice versa.  I was just hoping for good weather!

All is well that end's well.  Tuesday and Wednesday turned out to be meteorologically sound days.  We went to the playground, jumped through the sprinkler, and sold lemonade to two customers.  The kids played Angry Birds outside (don't ask how, but these kids all have great imaginations and managed to put together some form of real-life Angry Birds forum) and when Tim returned on Wednesday night, he pulled together a rousing game of kickball.

I only ended up ordering out once for food (pizza for dinner on Wednesday night).  We fed the 7 kids plus a guest on Tuesday at lunch; the 7 kids plus 2 guests on Wednesday at brunch; pizza fed the 7 kids plus 3 adults at dinner, as Tom had a little when he came to pick up his brood.  I did feel a bit discombobulated with all the noise and mayhem throughout the day, but as I told my neighbor:  "I didn't plan anything else.  My day was scheduled to be kid-centered.  Therefore, I could remain calm in the midst of chaos."

I wouldn't want to watch other children all the time, but we all enjoyed ourselves.  Thank goodness!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status