Dissatisfied

You know those books that come highly recommended?  The ones that everyone says you absolutely must read?  I'm not talking about books like Twilight or 50 Shades.  I am thinking of the books written by published and well-read authors, the ones that are highly anticipated by the publishing industry and then gushed about by readers.

Well I just read one of those.  It had been sitting on my list of books to read for a while, and I finally requested it from the library.  Unfortunately, I found it rather bland, and I ended up skimming the pages until I got to the end.  Several things really bothered me:
1.  100 pages into the story, and essentially nothing had happened.
2.  I couldn't find the motivation of any of the characters until really late in the game.
3.  The epilogue didn't tie up any loose ends, it simply created more questions.

Reading this book makes me truly realize that writing is so very subjective.  And it scares me.  But it also makes me hopeful.  Because I might find just as many people that like my stories as those that don't.  I guess I'll keep plugging away at my manuscripts.

Happy 4th of July!

Comments

Kelsey said…
Oh no! Of course I am dying to know which book this is, and afraid it is one I recommended, although I know you'd still be my friend EVEN if I recommended a book you didn't like... please tell!

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status