Forms

Back in July, I received a phone call from a friend.  She asked if I'd be willing to input some data for the PTO when school started.  I said that would be fine. Computers and I are friendly, and I've done enough with spreadsheets over the years that they don't scare me.

The data I needed to enter is basically a volunteer sign up form that the PTO sends out.  You put your name, phone number, email address on the form, as well as the names of your children, their grades, and their teachers.  Then, you check the box as to what you might be interested in helping with over the course of the year.  This system allows the PTO to have a complete list of people willing to help.  Need to get the Spaghetti dinner accomplished?  Check out the spreadsheet with the list of people who said they'd help with it.  Easy enough to send the emails/calls out due to the spreadsheet.  Having people say they can actually do it is another problem.

Anyway, these orange sheets and I have spent a lot of time together over the past week and a half.  And here are a few tips for people if you ever need to fill a form like this out.

  1. Be sure to print legibly.  That means we need to be able to read your proper name.  Same goes for email addresses.  Is that a zero or an O?  Do you have an m in your name or an n?  We can't contact you if we can't read your information.  Then again, perhaps that is your intent.
  2. If you list an email address, don't follow it up with "if I don't reply in 1 day, please call me.  I don't check email that often."  The PTO members and other people of the school don't have time for games.  If you don't check email, then don't provide the address!
  3. Fill out the darn thing (I bet I less than 25% of the families in the computer right now).  You can't tell me that you have zero time to help with at least one event over the next 9 months.  Even if you don't particularly like volunteering, or you work full-time, there are opportunities for helping.  Don't expect me and other people to pick up all your slack.  And if you don't help out, then don't complain!

And then I have a few tips for people that get several of these forms because they have more than one child attending the school. 
  1. If you have multiple children, and the form allows you to list said multiple children, then only fill out one form.  That certainly has to be easier on you.  I know it is for me, when 3 of my kids are at the school.  And having only one form per family is easier to put into the spreadsheet. Why?  See 2, 3, and 4 below.
  2. If you do not abide by the above and fill out a form for every child, then please, write down the same numbers at which to contact you.  Can someone have 4 contact numbers all of which are different?  I guess so, considering blended families and the possibility of two homes.  But your name is the constant here, which means the numbers at which to reach you should stay the same.
  3. Write down the same email address for yourself each time, too.  Sure I can see a personal and a work email.  But a bunch of other email addresses listed for the same person is confusing and a waste of time.
  4. Finally, be sure to check the same activities in which you'd like to be involved.  It just makes it easier.  If I have to, I'll put your name down for everything, which means you will get a phone call or an email at all of your numbers and email addresses.  Ha!
Thank goodness this stint is done.  It was fun while it lasted, and friend, I'll do it again next year no problem. In the meantime, I am going to think if there is a better way to do this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status