Celebrity Status

Melina and I are scheduled to be at the kids' school at least three days this week.  It has been a long time since we've been there that many times, so it isn't too bad, other than the fact that I am not getting anything else done this week.  But that isn't the reason for my post.

The reason is this:  the minute we walk into that school, Melina's face shines.  Her eyes turn bright and she looks for people she knows.  Yesterday, we were lucky enough to find two classes in the hallway, looking at the books set out for the book sale.  Melina quickly scanned the kids, found Zoe, Talia, Jackie, Sammy, Talia D., Belle, Anna, and a few others, and gave them each a hug.  The funny thing is, all of these kids are so happy to see Melina. "Oh, Melina, how are you?" they squeal, or, "Can I have a hug, too?"  Melina is happy to oblige.

All of that happened before we even made it into the front office to check in.  There, her celebrity status continued.  "What is Melina dressed up like today?"  Mrs. W asked as I signed my name on the visitor sign-in paper.  "How are you Melina?" another office person said.  What about me?  I'm the one that actually brings the child to school.  Can't anyone get all excited to see me?

Just kidding. I think it is great that Melina embraces the school and the school embraces her right back.  I will find it interesting to see how she handles actually attending the school next year.  Will she be too familiar with the people and the places?  Because I know her celebrity status will be taken away the minute she walks through that door as a student.  I think I'd better prepare her for that day; I don't want to see the starlet stumble.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog