Saturday Scenes

Last year, some of the things that occurred in the 4th grade trumped anything that happened at my school.  Apparently this year, things are different.  I must be reasonably happy with the 5th and 2nd grade teachers, because I haven't posted any whiny complaints here about them.  On the other hand, my classes are so rife with tension, conflict, and apathy, that the 2nd and 5th grade never really stood a chance.

Two Saturdays ago, I walked into class, prepared to give Exam 3.  I waited for the students to trickle in, and noticed that 3 of them were missing.  This is a class of 15 students; you know when 3 aren't there.  I waited for a few minutes and then went ahead and started the exam.

All last week, I checked my email and had nothing from the three students.

This past Saturday, I walked in the door and was accosted the minute I unlocked the door.

 Student #1 (S1):  I need to go.  I've had some really weird things going on at home.  I tried to email you about the test last week, but I didn't have many bars. I was in the hospital with my grandfather, who had 3 heart attacks in a row.  Now, my aunt needs help.  I'll be back Wednesday.
Me, inside my head: And you couldn't think to check on that email?  See if it ever got sent?  Have a message put in my box?
Me, to the student:  I am sorry about your situation.  I do allow 1 makeup exam, so you can take it next week.  But since we have Exam 4 scheduled for that day, you will be taking 2 exams.
S1:  That's fine.  Thanks.  I gotta go.
Me:  [I shake my head.]  Hmmm...
Student #2 (S2):  I wasn't here last week, either.
Me:  I know.  What happened?  
S2:  I couldn't get a ride.
Me, inside my head: Okay, I can appreciate that, but WTH?  An email?  A phone call?  Something to let me know you care?
Me, to the student:  I do understand that, but I expect you to let me know as soon as that happens.  You need to tell me that you won't be able to be here.  I'm sure you overheard me talking to S1...you can make up the exam this one time.  But you'll be taking two tests next week.
Student #3 (S3):  By the way Christina, I am staying to make up that exam this week, right?
Me, inside my head:  This sounds familiar...we talked about this, but I remember asking her to email me a confirmation.  But I'm done.  Just done.
Me, to the student:  That's fine.
S3:  Thank you.
Me, inside my head:  She can't send an email, but at least she has manners.
Lest you think I am a pushover, I really do have a 1 more chance and you are out policy.  This stems mostly from the fact that I teach at a community college.  Community college students have lives, unlike University students, and I find that I need to be more accommodating.  However, it's a fine line between accommodating and letting someone walk all over you.  I plan on staying on the right side of the line there.

My only question is this:  society is so plugged into technology at all times, so why, oh why can't someone send a simple, stinking, email to their instructor?  Just asking.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status