Thoughts

It amazes me what elicits flashes of Jack Handey these days. 

There I was, getting ready to unwind the cord on the vacuum cleaner.  I looked at the cord, wound around the hooks on the back, and realized that the cord looked funny.  It had been tied up in a figure 8 instead of in its usual oval.  The oval is the easiest and most compact way to do it, but clearly, there are other ways to wind that cord.  But again, it looked funny, and it made me stop and think.  And poof!  A deep thought.

My mom had wound the cord in the way to which she is accustomed.  It wasn't bad, just different.  And yet the method was not entirely best for this vacuum, considering it needed to be stored in a very tight closet.  I probably don't need to draw your attention to the fact that right there, right there, was the Jack Handey moment.  It crashed through my fog like a streak of lightning; like the red at the back of a throat full of streptococcus bacteria. 

How many times do we do what we are accustomed to?  How many times are those actions just not quite right for the situation?  And how many times do we go ahead and do them anyway, instead of possibly learning another way to go about and do something.  If you are anything like me, you've done that quite often.

Changing is a big thing for me.  I resist it usually, but when I look around and try to see the different methods out there of accomplishing events in life, both big and small, I am often astonished at all there is to see.

By the way, I won't be asking my mom to wind the cord the way I do it.  She vacuumed the whole house, after all, without me asking her to do so.  I think even Jack Handey would admit that you don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Comments

T said…
Just look in the mirror and say to yourself "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough and gosh darn it, people like me."

Dude, I feel like Alley McBeal on too many occasions because of my internal dialogue.

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status