Vacation Time

The kids are done with school this Friday, December 21st, for two weeks.

"Yes!" one of them yelled.  "Vacation!  I can sleep in!"  Knowing that, it had to be one of the girls.  Melina and Aaron especially don't do anything close to sleeping in later than 6:30 am. 

"Cool," the other said, an enormous grin breaking out on her face.

"Cool for you, anyway," I replied.  The tone of my voice must have alerted the twins to something, for both of their heads jerked my way.  "I don't get a vacation."

"You don't?" They both said.  I wanted to say jinx, but I declined.

"Nope.  I still need to get up every day and take care of you guys, right?  I might not be teaching, but what job do you think is more difficult?"

"Oh.  Yeah.  And daddy doesn't get a vacation, either," Zoe said.  "He only has Christmas Day off."

"That's right," I replied. 

I thought maybe this conversation would then meander into how the kids are lucky to have some time off; how the kids could be more helpful during their vacations, since it would be the right thing to help me out and give me somewhat of a vacation; how we could make plans to have a great vacation with perhaps everyone sleeping in a bit.  But in classic kid style, the conversation screeched to a halt and abruptly turned in the opposite direction. 

"Mom! We have this new song.  We need to sing it to you.  By the way, we made it up," Zoe said.

"And it goes to the tune of the Backyardigans' Ready for Anything," Talia added.

If you haven't heard that song, this is how the original lyrics read (thank you, Metro lyrics):

We brought lots
And lots of gear
Let's go down the list
And make sure it's all here

Maps and shovels, check
Cables and ropes, check
Flashlight and sneakers, check
Bubble bath soap, check

We're ready for anything,
Anything, anything

And here is the girls rendition:
 
We brought lots
And lots of beer
Let's go down the list
And make sure it's all here
 
Budweiser Light, check
Michelob Light, check
Rolling Rock and Coors, check
Yuengling, Bell's, check

We're ready for anything,
Anything, anything

Yes, my sweet little innocent girls sang this.  I'm sure Aunt  Tara would be proud, but now I'm really ready for some vacation time!
 
 
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status