National Days

Yesterday was National Pie Day, which we didn't observe. We also didn't celebrate National Dress Up Your Pet Day on January 14,  or National Popcorn Day on January 19. We could have easily had a party on the popcorn day; we eat a large amount of air popcorn in one year.  The more butter the better, says Melina, which sort of negates the reason to use the air popper, no? I don't have any plans for National Kazoo Day (1/28) or for National Puzzle Day (1/29), but National Freedom Day, which lands on February 1, might be one that all of us should try to celebrate.

My question is, what is the Freedom to which it refers? Freedom from winter? We won't have escaped that yet. Sadly, I had to look it up, and even more depressing, I should have known about this National Day. According to Wikipedia, February 1 is:
"a United States observance...honoring the signing by Abraham Lincoln of a joint House and Senate resolution that later became the 13th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. President Lincoln signed the amendment outlawing slavery on February 1, 1865, although it was not ratified by the states until later."  
Why didn't I know that February 1 is National Freedom Day? I don't count myself as the most aware when it comes to history, and I knew that it was Abraham Lincoln who signed the amendment, but I had no idea that the signing had its own day. I am glad that it does; it should. But again, shouldn't I have known?

Which gets me to my point. There are so many National Days that no one can keep track; I tried to do a search for National Days, and I came up with several lists, none of which matched up. Doesn't this mean that the significance of many, like National Freedom Day, may have been lost? Which of these days are legit, and which have been created for the masses? Should I even care?

All this talk of National Days came to a head here when Tim came down and said, "Did you know that November 20 is National Kick a Ginger Day?" What? I didn't really think that could possibly be true, but Aaron (a ginger) thought it was funny. Yeah, really funny when I kick you buddy, and you fall flat on your bum! I had to look that one up. Apparently, the day started as a joke that stemmed from an episode of South Park. Why am I so not surprised? Despite the joke, and you can read about it online (just Google it), some people actually do celebrate it. See what I mean about being legit? 

Funny thing about National Kick a Ginger Day? It falls on the same day as Universal Children's Day.  I guess on November 20, you can kick any ginger but a kid. Sorry, Aaron.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status