Good Ole Cal

"Hey," she says. "I like your new story."

"Thanks. I'm feeling this one a bit more," I reply. Which is true. It still won't be an award winner, I'm sure, but if I can get a draft together, maybe I'll try to do something with it.

"But what's up with Callum? Haven't we seen that one before? Are you part Irish?"

"I looked it up online...I wanted a British first name. I tried a couple and then chose a common British last name to go with it. So Callum Davies it is." I tend to name my characters right away so that I can get a better idea of who they are.

"Then why is this familiar?" she asks.

"I don't know."

So I do a Google search on Callum Davies and realize that the guy is famous! He's a professional footballer (that's soccer to us of course) who plays for Gilllingham. I found pictures and all, and while his likeness isn't that far off of what I imagine my Callum Davies to be, it is clear to me that I need to change names, AND this might be why his name sounded familiar. 

Any thoughts as to a good (and more original) British name?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status