Got It Covered

The frozen  ice began to pelt the windows last night, shortly before I headed to bed. I had been working on a new story, something that popped into my head while reading one last bedtime book to Melina, and so I was up a bit later than usual. In fact, I checked the clock on the computer just as the first ice pellet hit the window. 10:31 pm. Early for some, late for me.

I had the presence of mind to check the weather. Would the kids have a snow day (God forbid) or at least a delay? The weather site showed that some nasty ice and snow would probably be around for the early  hours, but most likely things would clear up. I knew the possiblity of a delay was big. So I called the school hotline. Nothing recorded at 10:40 pm.

Oh, if I'd just stayed up a even a little later, because at 10:51 pm, an email from the schools was sent to my inbox. I of course didn't know it then, but this morning, after I'd been woken up by Tim, who had a headache (surprise, surprise), I came downstairs to find that lovely, cheery email sitting staring me in the face. To be quite fair, when I came down, I already knew about the delay. I had called the hotline from the bedroom at 4:48 am. But I was already awake. I think if I'd known about the delay when Tim crawled out of bed to take care of that head, I'd have simply rolled over and gone back to sleep.

Ah well. I grabbed a cup of coffee and a banana, and I hope to get a few more words put together for my story. This whole mess just goes to show me that I need to open myself up to the technology that is available. Don't rely on the old-fashioned hotlines, for goodness sakes. Embrace the new and improved, stay connected at all times, and then, I'll have it covered.

At least the kids get to sleep in.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status