Rediscovering Catholicism

Life is so ironic sometimes.

Just two days ago, I posted about how I will be leading a discussion on Rediscovering Catholicism, and I wondered if I was the right person to do so.

Just yesterday evening, Tim walks in the door:
Tim: Hey, we're getting a new person for the volleyball team tomorrow.
Me: Oh really?
Tim: Yeah. J told me that the reason the other 8th grade team doesn't want her is that she is an RE student.
Me: [Whipping my head around.] WHAT?!?
Yeah, you heard me right. The other 8th grade team of a CATHOLIC PARISH is shunning someone because she doesn't attend the school. Rules state that students participating in a Catholic Youth Organization (CYO) sport can be a part of the CYO team if they are a registered member of the parish. It doesn't matter if you are a religious education (RE) student or if you attend the school. You pay the same fee and you should be able to be on the team.

FURTHERMORE, AND I WILL NEED TO BE OWEN MEANY HERE FOR A MOMENT, SO PLEASE EXCUSE THIS, BUT WHAT THE HELL? WHO GAVE THIS OTHER TEAM THE RIGHT TO SAY SORRY, CHILD, BUT WE DON'T WANT YOU? HOW CATHOLIC OR CHRISTAN IS THAT? WHAT HAPPENED TO TREATING PEOPLE AS YOU'D LIKE TO BE TREATED? IN WHOSE UNIVERSE IS THIS EVEN REMOTELY OKAY?

Apparently I shouldn't be getting down on myself. I might not completely agree with the tenents of the Catholic church, but I certainly adhere to a moral and ethical code that includes treating people with respect. If I can verify that this actually happened (and I have plans to approach a couple of people, including the person who told Tim, the school principal and the pastor), then I just might excuse myself not only from leading a discussion on Rediscovering Catholicism, but also from this sham of a Catholic parish.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status