It's Official

I'm not sure how I missed the news the first time around, but I did.

Apparently, the latest edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5) is set to be released on May 22, 2013.

Changes made to this edition? The inclusion of behaviors that, since they will be listed in the manual, can be categorized as psychological disorders. For example, hoarding will now have its own diagnosis, instead of being stuck under the umbrella of obsessive-compulsive disorder. This is a good thing, I think. People who hoard excessively might need some time and attention from a good mental health professional.

Another example? Temper tantrums. I'd be skeptical about this one, except that I've seen some severe temper tantrums in my life (not necessarily from my own kids). These outbursts will now be considered a disruptive mood dysregulation disorder (DMDD). While I don't think every child who has a temper tantrum has DMDD, I am certain there are a few who do. If this recognition of a possible disorder helps some kids and parents, than so be it.

But I'm not a hoarder and I learned to regulate my emotions long ago. So why then, pray tell, am I blogging about this? Because according to the DSM-5, my on-again, off-again habit of skin picking will place me squarely inside the book, making me a person with a mental disorder.

Is that really shocking to any of you? I don't think so. Because I didn't need this news or the book to tell me that I'm a person with a psychological disorder, but now, it's official!

***
Disclaimer: I shouldn't have to say, but I will, that mental health disorders are nothing to be laughed at. I truly believe that there is no normal...we're all on a continuum between the textbook ideal and non-ideal. We learn to live with what we're given, and some of us need a little help to make it to the place we'd like to be. Thankfully, I can control the skin-picking with a quick "Stop that!" in my mind, at least in the summer. In the winter, my skin is so dry, it practically picks itself off.

I will also say that I haven't even addressed the diagnostic and insurance issues this new edition might bring to the surface. As I always say, that's for another post.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status