Red Hot Research

BIG DISCLAIMER. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO HEAR WORDS THAT DEAL WITH SEX AND ANATOMY, LEAVE NOW. Thank you.

I'm in the midst of reading a manuscript for one of my writing group buddies. The book is an action-adventure with a romance thrown in, and that description will have to suffice, because I don't want to give anything away.

But here's the thing. My writer friend is trying make sure that any intimate moments involved will read true to life. On the last read-through, the intimate moment happened too quickly; the people involved kissed, he put his you know what you know where, and then bang, it was done. "Where's the foreplay?" one lady asked. "You need to give more details. Not Fifty Shades details, but details nonetheless," another person added. Even my prudish self nodded in assent.

Well, yesterday, I finally made it to the intimate moments part of this manuscript, and to be honest, my friend dealt with the matter more eloquently than I ever could. However, in her quest to keep everything authentic and true to life, she used real anatomical terms. That is all good and well until you really think about being in the throes of passion. Would you call your private parts by their true names? Would you call your partners nether regions by the correct term? I don't think so. Therefore, I took it upon myself to do some research.

Fast forward a couple of hours later, and I've scoured my copies of Fifty Shades (mostly so I can tell my friend what not to do, i.e. too many references to "my sex" or being "wet", all the things that might make her book turn too quickly toward the tawdry) and made a trip to the library. In a quick minute I found a book called Red Hot and Royal and threw it in my bag. I'm halfway through and making copious notes, as well as laughing my back-end off at the thought of me doing this sort of research.

Who would have thought? Not I. But I guess I like to keep surprising myself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status