Sweet Spot

I've discovered something about the books I've read recently.

There are two major categories I can place these books into: those I find that I can relate to, and those that are deep and profound. I'd like to say that the two categories overlap, as shown in the Venn diagram below; that the books I'm finding are snuggled tightly in the arms of both of those qualities, and that I walk away from the books with a sense of purpose and meaning every time because the story told was one I could relate to.
Unfortunately, that is not the case. I won't mention titles, but the few deeper books I've picked up lately have not included story lines or characters to which I can relate, thus finishing the books, which I have heard are deeply profound, has been impossible.

So of course, I have a question. Do I want to write a book that is relatable or profound? If I can't find the space where that yellow star resides (I think John Green has found that spot, by the way), I'm going to go with relatable. It's a long and difficult road either way you look at it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status