Busy

My life is busy. It's a blessed busy, but a busy nonetheless. Each week, I manage to get to the kids' school, my school, and the library. I bring Aaron to piano, the girls to singing, and Melina to the grocery store. I help with homework, investigate nature, clean the house, do the cooking, run, write, do the laundry, and a whole host of other things that I tuck into my days. As I said, my days are busy. (Sure, you've all heard this before. Stop complaining...I'll get to my point. And no, I'm not playing the martyr. This is a part of my job of being a parent.)

But if friend calls and asks if we can try to get together, I say yes, without even looking at the calendar, for I know that something already scheduled can be moved. If someone calls and asks if they can visit, I say yes, because the more people in my house, the merrier. If a colleague calls to see if I can sub for them, I find a way to make it happen. If I need to make another, unscheduled appearance at the elementary school, most of the time, I do my best to get there.

I move appointments on my calendar gladly. Many times, without hesitation. In fact, I execute many of the things I do with joy because for me, it's the right thing to do.

Because in each tiny piece of busyness that graces my life, I find a celebration. Call it hokey, I don't care, I'll probably agree with you. But remember, it's all in how you look at something, that perspective we take on a situation with which we are presented. Sure, I might have a thousand things to do today. If I have Melina by my side, though, then we're getting to spend time together. I might also have a plethora of commitments for the day that someone wants to have coffee. But if I haven't seen my friend in a while, then isn't moving a commitment or two to another day a good way to feed my soul? It's amazing what just an hour with a good friend can do for me, the laughter, the togetherness. It's a feeling I'd wish on anyone. Sadly, not everyone can capture it.

The people who consistently repeat that they are too busy, will never have that feeling. They are bogged down by inconsequential housework and other trivial pieces of life that really, if they are honest with themselves, can wait another day. Or perhaps they are afraid to move outside their comfort zone, as if seeing other people and extending a loving hand will force them to open up and reveal their true selves. Whatever the excuse, the busy will always be busy.

But won't we all always be busy?

Decide what you want to do with that busy and move on from there.

Because it's okay to try and make sure that everything is accomplished on a day-to-day basis, but always remember that sometimes, everyone  needs to stop and smell the roses. Take control of the busy and don't let it control you. And most importantly, do not put anything you consider a part of your busy life above the significant people who surround you.

If you can remember that last phrase, you, too, will find celebration and joy in the everyday busy. And living with joy in your heart, each and every day, is a fabulous way to live.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status