Old Dogs

This past Saturday night, we had the pleasure of housing two members of the University of Michigan Men's Glee Club. We attended their local concert, grabbed our assigned students, and headed back to the house. One student was a sophomore, the other a senior. Tim and I are old enough to be their parents, but they didn't make us feel too old. Really.

It was almost ten o'clock in the evening when we returned to the house and they were hungry. We were prepared with lots of healthy food, snacks, and some junk food, so I wasn't worried. Much to my surprise, each young man chose to have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and some fruit. "That sounds great right about now," they said, probably because they'd been eating on the road all weekend. They set to work making sandwiches while I washed some grapes and cut some strawberries.

In the midst of sandwich making, Tim said, "Look, Chris, peanut butter on one side and jelly on the other."

"Ah, yes, everyone but me makes it that way," I replied. I like peanut butter on both sides of the bread with a smear of jelly in between. More peanut butter and the jelly doesn't ooze through the bread.

The kids looked up at Tim. "What do you mean?" one asked.

"Oh, Chris puts peanut butter on both sides of the bread, unlike most people."

"OH. MY. GOODNESS. That's a great idea!" one of them said. "That would have solved all my problems back in high school!"

That's me, the problem solver. "You should have met me earlier in your life, I guess." I felt a smirk cross my face and I went back to washing the fruit.

Moral of the story? Old dogs might not be able to learn new tricks, but old dogs can teach new dogs old tricks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status