Who Knew?

You know what? I learned something yesterday. Most of my days, I learn something, so I really shouldn't be surprised. But most of the time, that something that I learn comes from one of the children, and it involves Minecraft trivia or Wii information or facts they learned in school. This time, I read a book and came away with a new appreciation for my one intact uterus and one vagina. Because, and I probably always realized this could be true, it is possible to have two of each of them.

Now, I'd already heard of what is called a bicornuate uterus. This is a condition in which the uterus is "horned" and the two horns are separated by a septum. Just as with a normal uterus, if one travels south, the bicornuate structure leads to one cervix. With the uterus didelphys, though, the uterus and the vagina can be paired so that there are, essentially, two of each. Sadly, the twin uteri tend to be smaller, so that the possibility of carrying a fetus to term is slim for women who have this condition. Therefore, it might not be surprising that a woman with uterus didelphys might not find out about her condition until she has reproductive issues.

Might this condition find its way into a book? You never know. Stay tuned to find out. In the meantime, the uterus didelphys will at least become a topic of conversation when the reproductive lab rolls around. And now, hopefully, you've learned something, too. That's a great way to start a Friday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status