Important Business

Eating gluten-free can be a life changing event for some. While we aren't gluten-free in this house, we do have friends and family who have taken on the challenge of eating gluten-free not because of some fad, but because their health and livelihood depend on it. And when said family comes to visit and wants to take part in a birthday celebration (of a little girl who will turn six this Thursday), I want to make sure that family member can eat cake.

But life has been so busy around here, I didn't find a good homemade gluten-free recipe that I was willing to try. Enter Hodgson Mill. They've been around forever and make a ton of offbeat healthier (or not) items as well as sell oodles of oddball grains and flours that no one (until now) has heard of. I plucked a gluten-free chocolate cake mix off the shelf and hoped for the best.

Of course, if you know me, I can't use a cake mix without adding something to it. But I didn't know how gluten-free mixes worked with additions, so I only added about a tablespoon of brewed coffee to the already mixed up other bits. And, I made my own whipped cream chocolate frosting.

I'll cut to the chase: it was good. The texture was dense and even though I could tell that the flours were different from a regular cake, I would make it again. And that's a great thing, because my gluten-free family member comes out every July. Perhaps next year I'll add something a little adventurous to the mix.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status