What Not To Say

Speaking of the body -- and I love that I can do this with you all, just continue the conversation as if you're hanging on every word -- I've recently picked up a trashy book (well, actually, it's a trilogy). Don't gasp. I've read quite a bit of trash over the years, and I think I've said before that I learn just as much from the bad as I do the good. As long as I balance what I read, I'm a happy camper.

Back to the body, though -- of the characters in this book. The bodies showcase themselves in this trashy novel I'm reading. I don't want to say what the book is called because truly, I've read worse. (Of course, I've read better, much better, but I digress.) And I know how difficult it is to actually write a novel. But I think, if I had any guts, I'd write to the author with an honest critique. I'd tell her several items that come up repeatedly on my list of annoyances as I read her work. Namely:
  • It is okay to mention the first few times how well the male lead, someone I'll call Logan, looks in his business suit and wool coat. But when the chest is mentioned, repeatedly, and then again, not only in book one but also book two, you know it needs to take a rest.
  • It is also acceptable to talk about a woman's legs, but again, find something else to focus on, or better yet, let's have some character development! Those legs won't change over the course of the book, but her outlook on life, love, and her pursuit of happiness just might. (Oh wait a minute, her legs do change! She's in an accident and her thigh is left with an ugly scar, one that of course, Logan presses his lips to and undoes her.)
  • The attraction of two bodies will only get a story so far, and in my opinion, the story should be over. With book two. Even though there is another book on the way. Stop having the bodies of these characters lust over one another, yell at one another, be confused at the fact that loving someone is scary but can actually be a good thing. Acknowledge the feelings and then move on or don't. That's all.
Of course, if I do find the time and the guts to write to this author, I'd make my letter sound much nicer and more professional. I don't want to burn any bridges...she might be a friend of a friend of a friend of an agent or something like that. I guess I could only hope.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status