Miguel

The day started in a crappy fashion.

The fan made me too cold, I'd slept too little, and despite the fact that I was tired, I couldn't get back to sleep. Once I made it downstairs, I realized that the girls hadn't made their lunches the night before, nor had they cleaned off the study table. I'd forgotten to give Melina a bath, and did I have enough bread for sandwiches? No amount of caffeine or sugar could fix my mood, because, oh yes, my period would arrive in two days.

By the time I was ready to leave for work, I'd scratched myself and bled, yelled at the dog (Thanks, Toby. You can start learning to listen to me sometime soon, you know.), and forgotten to send an important email. Teaching was on the agenda, but my expectations for the lecture were few. Get through the presentation and head on to lab, where I would teach a very simple (and quick) microscope lesson.

Had the universe been out for blood today, the microscope lab would have run long. Instead, the universe sent me Miguel.

Who is Miguel? I knew you'd ask me that. He's a student in my Wednesday lab. Of course, this being the first meeting of said lab, I hadn't yet met some of the students, much less Miguel. And I thought nothing of him until I took attendance.

"Miguel?" I said, and lifted my head to look at the students.

"Right here!" a dark-haired young man wearing glasses answered. He added a huge flourish with his hand, making it quite obvious that he was, indeed Miguel. A little over the top, but you know, I needed that. So I thanked him.

"You're welcome," he said, and proceeded to ask, with an enormous smile on his face, how I was doing.

I didn't give him the answer that stood on the tip of my tongue, which could have been fine or okay or good or a number of other, bland descriptions. Because at that moment, thanks to Miguel, I was GREAT. He'd lifted my spirits with his simple enthusiasm. I desperately clung to it with all my might and then let it soak in. The class went well, the drive home was uneventful, and I even had time to get gas and head to the hardware store. My day has been turned up by down. By one student. Miguel.

I often say that it's the little things that matter, that make a difference, that change a life. In this case, it is so true.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status