Dog Days, Part IV

You know how, once you have a child, you can't really take him or her back? You might threaten to do so, but truthfully, unless Child Protective Services gets involved, you're stuck with your progeny. (For most of us, that's a good thing, of course, and we don't look at it as being stuck.) Well, with a dog, that isn't the case.

I can find a new home for Toby if I am so inclined.

I can decide not to feel guilty about it.

Can you tell I'm trying to convince myself of the above statement?

What the trainer taught me has worked to some degree to curb Toby's impulse control problems. But , I'm not home enough (nor to I have the energy or inclination) to spend the loads of time this dog requires. He's a needy dog. I don't have needy children (at least in my opinion) so why do I want to saddle myself with a needy dog?

I don't.

But I can't find a home for him. We've had no hits on our Craigslist and Facebook postings, and one person who seemed interested hasn't found the time to come see him. If he can't do that, then he doesn't have time for this dog and his issues, either.

Where does that leave us? In the same spot we were last week: in a house with bite marks on the table legs, a cat who doesn't leave the upper level, and a dog who needs a swift kick in the pants.

Just wait, Toby, until Christmas break, when I have two weeks of uninterrupted time to deal with you and your so-called issues. Just wait. It's not an empty threat this time.

(Okay, don't get worried. I'm just teasing. But if the weather isn't too bad in December, I plan on having the kids help round up this rascal. Of course, I'll keep you posted.)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status