Never Go in Against a Canopy...

Melina is the proud owner of a pink, frothy canopy that hangs over her bed. I thought when it arrived that the fuchsia bows added just the right touch. After all, the more embellishments, the better. (Eyeroll.)

Anyway, the pink concoction hangs over her bed, and clearly is for decorative purposes. Meaning, you really don't do much with it at all, besides marvel at its loveliness and in my case, wonder how in the world your daughter came to be so frilly and feminine. (It's all good, just different.) And normally, because the canopy simply hangs from the ceiling, it's not involved in any part of our daily lives, with the exception of bed time--when I wrestle with each of its extensions and attempt to place them around the bed in a satisfactory manner for Melina.

But early last evening, I got a shout from Aaron.
Aaron: Mom!
Me: Yes?
Aaron: Mom? I need you!
Me: What do you need?
Aaron: Mom! I need you to come here.
Usually, I ask the kids to come to me if I'm in the middle of something important. But I do come to them at times, and since my hands were free, I set off in search of Aaron. (Our house isn't that big, but I still had to confirm where he was, which was upstairs.)
Me: I'm coming.
Aaron: Okay.
I could tell by the sound of his voice that he might be in Melina's room, which is located right off the top of the stairs. As I reached the last two steps, I said:
Me: What do you need me for?
Aaron: I need help to get my teeth out.
Yes, you read that right. His teeth needed to get out. And from what? Yes. You can see the path this story is taking. As I entered Melina's room, I saw Aaron facing her bed, his face flush with the canopy. And one of the tulle panels was attached directly to the bracket on his upper left incisor.
Me: How in the world did you get her canopy stuck to your teeth?
Aaron: ...
Me: Never mind, I don't want to know. Just don't let it happen again. [I gently pried the fabric away from the bracket.]
Aaron: Okay, thanks.
I'm not entirely sure how or why the event happened, I'm only grateful that Aaron had enough sense to ask for help instead of trying to pull the canopy off his bracket by himself. Perhaps turning ten means he possesses a little more common sense these days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status