Seeing Jesus

Do you know who Maroon 5 is? I'm sure you all do. Who hasn't heard of the luscious Adam Levine, right? As for the other guys in the band...well...I wasn't even sure what they looked like until the girls received Overexposed--the clean version--for Christmas.

The other day, we finally opened the CD, slid it into the computer, fired up our legs, and danced in the living room. And then--then, we looked at the liner notes.

"That guy, Mom, looks like Jesus," Melina said, pointing to the man (boy maybe? he's younger than I am) I later found out to be James Valentine. Don't know who he is? Like I said above, I didn't either. But here's a picture of him (below) from Zimbio. (If you go to to the link, you can actually see the source of the photo at the bottom. So, to be correct, I guess I should probably credit the real source, Frederick M. Brown/Getty Images North America.)


Yeah, I know what you're thinking. Jesus didn't wear bow ties.

Okay, I admit. That thought probably wasn't what you were thinking. And I wasn't either, when I saw the photo. I was still thinking, and amazed by the fact, that I'd never seen that face in my life. How could I have listened to Maroon 5 this long and not have seen the rest of the bandmates?!? By the way, I should mention that the above photo is not the picture in the liner notes, but I thought James (can I call him by his first name?) looked more approachable in the above photo. The liner note photo is more of what I--and probably everyone else--would call a mugshot:

(I couldn't find the source of this photo, but please know that I didn't take it, nor do I take credit for it.)

Tim and I explained to Melina that James Valentine's appearance is probably far different from the way we think Jesus looked. We gave her a few necessary details: we talked about where Jesus lived, and what people who live there look like today. We didn't pull up "internet evidence" although we probably should have shown her something in order to plead our case. This is the child who stares--every week at religious education--at a classic depiction of Jesus: white man, long hair, blue eyes. No wonder Melina thinks James is Jesus.

Later on, she convinced me that yes, our discussion points had gotten lost in conversation.

"Can you hand me the liner notes with Jesus, please? I need to see Jesus."

Some would say that we all need to see Jesus.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status