Top Ten List

Despite what some of you may think, I can be a smart-ass. I'm not sure where the penchant for being one comes from, but the capacity exists within me. I've just had to shut it off since having children. But every once in a while, a snarky comment rises from the deep sea bottom, and bops up here, on the blog.

What is it for today? I just read this article in the Washington Post, about the ten most boring things that moms find awesome. (Umm, actually, that's the title. I guess I should have put those words in quotes. I didn't, and I'm too lazy to do so.) In the article, Samantha Rodman lists...aw shoot, I don't need to tell you what she lists. The title of the article does so. But what does Rodman include? Things like "Seeing a friend without kids at your feet" and "Getting a latte." Other items such as "Sleeping until 8" and "Exercise" are also on the list. I agreed with most of what she had to say, but I found myself wondering about another list...

So I'm entitling my list, "The ten most boring things that (some) moms actually do find boring." It's a compilation of the ten things I think are boring, and you might, too. Because let's be honest, so many times during our day we talk about our kids and what we do in our day-to-day lives with them--many times with joy in our voice--when really, we'd like to hit ourselves over the head if we're asked to do that same thing again. And yet, we do them, without complaint most of the times.

Here we go:

  1. Doctor visits. This can be going to the doctor for well-child or sick visits. Not many people I know enjoy taking time out of their day to do this. But, they are necessary.
  2. Playgroups. We all try to socialize our young ones, and some of us participate in a playgroup. We say that we're getting some mom time while the kids are playing, but really, talking to your friends at playgroup, surrounded by a gaggle of children who are not yours, is oftentimes, not fun.
  3. Stories. As in, "Mom! I have a story to tell you!" Yes, listening to your child tell the same story over again makes this list. Because you never have to listen just once.
  4. Socks. Having to find the pair of socks you just found for your child is a common occurrence around these parts. The next day, you'll have to do this again and maybe you'll have to do it for other things, too, like loveys, books, training bras...who knows?
  5. ABCs. I know a woman who gets annoyed each time she has to do this with her kids. And yet, she grits her teeth and plasters a smile on her face. Don't we all at times?
  6. Cooking. I try to prepare home-cooked and healthy meals for my kids, and I know many of you do, too. But I will be honest and say that I'd rather be reading or writing than standing in front of the stove.
  7. Eye rolls. These have become a staple of our society, and with twin almost-teenagers and two more kids behind them, I've seen my share. I find eye rolls not just boring, but aggravating. But I also find myself performing them behind my kids' backs!
  8. Practices. Carting your adolescent to practice of any kind is never exciting.
  9. Movies. How many times can I watch Enchanted with the kids? And when I try to sit down to watch a movie alone, or with my husband, I just get fidgety. I am wasting time, I think. There are so many other things I could be doing with these two hours!!
  10. The mall. I will never find the mall awesome--only boring--kids or no kids.
As an aside, Rodman and I share numbers 9 and 10 (and maybe 2, as well), but we have clearly different outlooks on movies and the mall. Which just goes to show you that every mom is different, just as every child is different. What would you include on your list?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status