On Hold

I talked a little bit yesterday about putting my life on hold. The concept made me really think about all the things I've put on hold for the summer. I'm not trying to whine here, I'm just putting the whole situation into perspective. Because I won't be accomplishing much this summer, besides making sure my folks are okay. And that's all right. I hope my kids would do the same for me.

But here's the list of what I won't accomplish this summer:
  • Querying for After We've Fallen or Beyond the Trees
  • Finishing up Hunting for Lilacs
  • Critiquing for my writing group (I actually told them I'd likely be off for the summer)
  • Painting the girls' room or Melina's room
  • Cleaning out the basement
  • Weeding my landscaping
  • Setting up my class for the fall (we switched online capabilities and I need to upload files)
  • Traveling to see friends
  • Reading a book for book club (sorry, ladies, I'm out for at least the summer)
I could go on, but I don't want to focus on the negative. Because even though the crap has hit the fan, I should be able to find plenty of positive items that will come from this summer on hold as well. I guess I'll just keep those bits of loveliness for another post.

Carry on...

Comments

Anonymous said…
I think you're kids will do the same if you ever need it (praying that you won't). Right now, by putting your life on hold, you're teaching them that family is more important than the individual. It's hard to take care of aging parents, and they may not fully appreciate it, but it is the right thing to do. And I do hope you never have to reach the point of tough love and pulling back. I've recently hit that place with my mother, but I'm so glad I did everything I could have done first. Now, even though watching her struggle saddens me, I feel secure in the knowledge that I did the right thing. I helped as much as she would let me. That's all you can do.

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status