Silver Lining

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, I wanted to be a physician. I never quite got to that point in my life. Somehow, my plans were derailed. And while I thought very briefly (maybe 1 nanosecond) about being a nurse, I went ahead to graduate school instead. So my bedside manner is nonexistent, you know?

Yet here I find myself, acting as nurse, health aide, social worker, all around caregiver, and pharmacy technician. I've helped prepare meals, write checks, chauffeur people, buy groceries, and make appointments. I haven't wiped any bums, but I'd be willing to do so, and last night, I held Dad's head while he almost vomited into the garbage. I also waited to go to bed so I could wake up him up, help him with his meds, and see what else he needed for comfort. I'll be coaching both of my parents this morning on whatever information the visiting nurse leaves with us.

I'm tired. I'm slightly crabby. I've indulged in more alcohol than I have ever had in my life (which isn't saying much), but I can't complain because I just spent a weekend doing things I haven't done in years. Eating dinner at a table with just my sisters, my parents, and me. Laughing at my Dad's lengthy prayer (warn me next time, won't you?). Watching a movie with my two sisters on a love seat meant only for two. Sleeping in the same room and giggling until we fell asleep.

A great weekend spent with some of the most influential people in my life and two of the best friends I'll ever have. A little silver lining in my most recent cloud.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status