Why Stories Matter

"NaNoWriMo is really just the concrete version of the idea that it’s okay, it’s great, it’s important to make your creative self a priority; that it’s okay, it’s great, it’s important to believe that you have something to say that people want to hear.

...Because when you start believing in your stories, you start believing in yourself. And to paraphrase the great Mal Reynolds, once we’ve done the impossible, it makes us mighty. Practice believing impossible things. Your story matters. Let it make you mighty."

~Sarah Mackey, Director of Community Engagement at NaNoWriMo. See her video, below.



Comments

T said…
Wtf time do you get up?
Anonymous said…
This was great! I just reread Alice in Wonderland and high-lighted that Queen of Hearts quote... and you can never go wrong with Mal Reynolds :) Thanks for sharing!!
Christina said…
I took a page from you, Bethany, on this one!

Tara--I get up between 4:45 and 5:30. But I scheduled this one last night in case I slept in (I had a feeling I'd be really tired if Melina didn't sleep well). True fact: I said to Tim last night, "For NaNoWriMo, I'm not sure if I should just get up and 4 a.m. each morning to write or just stay up later instead." He looked at me like I was crazy.
Anonymous said…
Um, yeah... the you-must-be-crazy look is completely appropriate!! 4am... I didn't even regularly get up that early in my army days. But I guess crazy is a bit of what NaNo is all about ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status