Into the Pensieve, IX

A week or so ago, Sesame Street's Facebook page featured a clip of a very old short. I'm including it here, in case you've never seen it. But I bet for some of you, if I said, "a loaf of bread, a container of milk..." you'd fill in the rest with "and a stick of butter."



This clip is labeled Can you remember? And seeing it last week reminded me how bittersweet memories can be. That clip was a favorite of my mom's when I was little, and just the words conjured images of green shag carpeting, long, dark coffee tables, the wrought iron railing between the kitchen and the family room, and Mom's voice repeating this chant.

I wonder if I said to her, "A loaf of bread, a container of milk..." if she'd be able to fill in the rest as easily as I can. My guess would be no, but since this is a memory from a number of years ago, Mom might just surprise me with a yes. I'll do my best to remember to ask her the next time I see her. In the meantime, I'll smile each time I watch this video. And smiles are sometimes few and far between when it comes to dealing with a family member who has Alzheimer's.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status