(2016 NaNoWriMo) Captain's Log, Day 3

(Author's Note: The plan for November is to update my readers on my daily NaNoWriMo progress. It's a way to connect with you, of course, but it helps keep me accountable, too. Please also note that I've added the date that NaNoWriMo predicts I will be done, assuming I keep my pace.)

The tally:

1. How many words I wrote on November 3, 2016. 2538
2. Did I make the word count goal for the day (1667 words)? Yes
3. Am I on track to finish by November 30, 2016? Yes
4. I will finish by: November 20, 2016

Distracting thought of my day: How bad are my sentences, really? As I've learned more about the craft of writing, it's easier to sit down and compose decent sentences, even under a deadline. I automatically now choose active verbs over passive ones and try to show instead of tell. But the goal of NaNoWriMo is to simply get my story down. I don't revise. I don't edit. I simply aim to get a somewhat coherent plot on the page. So let's look at a few of these stellar sentences that I've written.

1. The Snellen eye chart no longer hung limp and dirty at the back of the examination room. (Okay, I just laughed out loud at that sentence.)
2. The floor would have been a better place to pound the device, but he'd been on the other side of money before. (Not too bad, but very generic, no?)
3. He said her name out loud, hoping that if he just voiced the hurt, the missing, that the ache would go away. (Ugh. Just ugh.)
Image courtesy of wikiHow

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status