A Lesson in Toasted Oats

Every morning of the week, I eat toasted oats for breakfast. In fact, if I have a choice of a large breakfast, complete with eggs, toast, potatoes, and fruit, I will choose the bowl of toasted oats. I much prefer a smaller breakfast, and would rather eat the larger meal at lunchtime.

What I've learned over the last year, though, is that I'm more particular about my toasted oats than I originally thought. As in, I apparently won't eat just any toasted oats.

So what happened? I know you're dying to know...

A week or two ago, when I was at Meijer, I remembered that we were getting low on toasted oats. (It's not that I have anything against Cheerios, per se--they are tasty--but they are also expensive. Of course, all cold cereal is a little pricey when you compare it to other foods, but I digress.) I made my way to the cereal aisle, grabbed a box of the store brand toasted oats, and eventually made my way home.


When it came time to open the package and eat the cereal, though, it became very clear--within two bites,really--that my belief that not all toasted oats are created equal is true. I had already figured this lesson out earlier in they year when I purchased a box of Millville Crispy Oats. That cereal, in my opinion, tastes like cardboard. It was so bad that I actually threw the entire box out. Well the Meijer brand tasted only minimally better to me.

Why hadn't I noticed all of this before? Probably because I usually buy the Kroger or Trader Joe's brand of toasted oats.

What have I learned? That I must stick to those three brands--Kroger, Trader Joe's, or Cheerios--if I want to start my day off on the right foot. And I'm all about starting off the day properly.

Happy Monday!


Comments

T said…
Never do Meijer brand anything.
Christina said…
Some of their things are okay. But I do think I like the Kroger brand better for so many other things.
S.B. House said…
Millville is awful!! And I miss Kroger... it was my store of choice when I lived in Illinois.

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status