Dinner Tonight, II

Am I the only one tired of cooking? I know I can't be, because many of the moms (and dads) I know complain about that chore on a daily basis. Let it be known that if I had my druthers, I'd farm this task out. And just so you know, Tim would probably take the task on, like he did on many days when we were first married, but he gets home too late to routinely cook.

Anyway, with another blast of cold weather on us, I took it upon myself to find my favorite black bean soup recipe. It originally comes from the Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home, a cookbook I own but cannot currently find in my house. Hope you enjoy it!

Ingredients:

10 sun-dried tomatoes (not the kind that are packed in oil)
1 cup boiling water

1 1/2 cups chopped onion
3 minced garlic cloves
1 minced jalapeno chile or 1/4 tsp cayenne
2 Tbsp oil
1 tsp ground cumin
1/3 cup water
3 cups undrained diced, canned tomatoes (28-ounce can)
4 cups undrained cooked black beans (two 16-ounce cans)
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
water or tomato juice

yogurt or sour cream (optional)

Directions:

1. In a small bowl, add the boiling water to the sun-dried tomatoes and set aside.

2. In a large pot, saute the onions, garlic, and chile or cayenne in the oil for about 5 minutes, stirring often, until the onions are translucent. Add the cumin, 1/3 cup water, and the tomatoes with the juices.

3. Cover the pot and bring the soup to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. Add the black beans and their liquid, and continue to simmer, stirring from time to time to prevent sticking.

4. Drain and chop the sun-dried tomatoes. Add them to the soup and cook for 5 to 10 minutes longer. Stir in the cilantro and remove the soup from the heat. Puree 1/2 of the soup (or more) in a blender or food processor and return it to the pot. If the soup is too thick for your taste, add some water or tomato juice. Reheat gently.

You can add sour cream or dollop of yogurt if you'd like. We simply serve the soup with a salad and bread, nothing fancy.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status